Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Riding in the wet and cold weather

Well, type 1, wet and cold weather is harder on my body than I thought.
Went on a 40 miles light ride on Dec 22nd and a harder 60 miles ride on Jan 3rd.
Both times it was cold and a little wet. On both occasion I left the house a little high (>120 but <150) with 3 power bars, one banana and either a water bottle or as last Sunday a bottle with 2 emergen C in it.
Of course the 40 miles ride was shorter and easier, but I was struggling on the last 4 miles hill to keep my glucose from falling bellow the 70s as I ran out of food.
On Sunday, after 40 miles, and still 2 major hills to climb, I had to stop and feed immediately as I tested at 45.

On either ride, I did not bolus for the carbs I took while riding.

Draw your own conclusion, but I will try to bring more food next time or/and faster simple carbs for quick "bounce".

Other than that, my lunch runs 3 times a week are serving me good, I am able to keep my levels in check even while I am doing a low carb diet and trying hard to continue a high fiber food intake.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment