Tuesday, February 9, 2010

82.1 mile ride in cold and wet weather.

Regular 140gr carbs breakfast for 6+ units of insulin.
Left at 11:45am on this gray January Sunday at 180 BG.

1:00 PM Carbohydrate: 28 grams (sip) Gatorade 2 bottles for total ride

1:30 PM Carbohydrate: 20 grams GU Lemon

2:00 PM Carbohydrate: 45 grams PowerBar Peanut Butter

2:30 PM Carbohydrate: 20 grams GU Vanilla + something else

2:40 PM Carbohydrate: 28 grams (sip) Gatorade 2 bottles for total ride

3:30 PM Carbohydrate: 20 grams Trader Joe's Peanut Butter

4:00 PM Carbohydrate: 20 grams GU ApplePie (disgusting)

4:10 PM Carbohydrate: 28 grams (sip) Gatorade 2 bottles for total ride
5:00 PM Carbohydrate: 28 grams (sip) Gatorade 2 bottles for total ride
Disconnected my pump about 3/4 into the ride as I could see that while eating I wasn't trending up but was staying steady and later started to trend down.






My Endo Dr. De Santis asked me to NOT disconnect my pump but to set a temporary basal as it has been reported of athletes going into ketoacidosis (too much sugar in blood for not enough insulin). This effect can happen especially when training hard, as the liver would then release stored glucose to the body to help with energy burning and muscles starving.

Average blood glucose for that day: 113 (tested) / 107 (CGM)
High: 143 (tested) / 188 (CGM) after breakfast
Low: 81 (tested) / 70 (CGM)
Total Insulin: 30.5 units
Basal: 12.6 units (41%)
Bolus: 17.9 units (59%)
Total carbs load: 458 grams
Total exercise: 343 minutes at high intensity

2 comments:

  1. Your insulin level can be too low even if your blood sugar is in range. I agree with your doctor.
    The disconnect from you pump won't even start to have an effect for about half an hour, and will really have its impact after an hour or two.
    If you disconnected 3/4 of the way through a 4 hour ride, it mostly didn't matter until after the ride was over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jerry, and thanks for your comment. I am still learning how training affects my levels with what food I take, stress levels, weather etc...
    But I welcomed my doctor's recommendation. So I will start to set a temp basal on my pump from now on (cut it in 1/2 as a start) and see if that makes me go low or not.
    I started to read your blog, very interesting. Sounds like you and I are having the same athletic goals. I am secretly dreaming of an ironman for my 40th birthday. I have started to run seriously back in 2007 to help with the cycling which has helped me so much and gave me my best year ever on the bike.
    Then 2008 came and I was diagnosed with T1. I still performed on the bike, about 1/2 the capacity as I had burned a lot of muscle mass. 2009 was hard and with the learning curb of T1 I wasn't as good at multi tasking my training, races, and slacked too much on the runs.
    Now for 2010, I am not letting T1 be an excuse and want to be compared to healthy athletes. I don't consider myself one, but am working on becoming one. I have set myself lots of goals, no excuses and I push myself every day to eat well, sleep enough (working on that one), train hard, recover right and enjoy life.
    Lets keep in touch Jerry as I think that we might have similar goals.

    Regards, Thierry.

    ReplyDelete