Monday, March 29, 2010

Independence Valley Race - Or Hell for Thierry

Start was to be at 11:30am in Rochester WA. South of Olympia, North of Centralia. About 2 hours drive from the house.
Gina and Julien were part of the trip, thank you again!

Race started late, because of major crashed in the previous category field and ambulance after ambulance were rushing to the scene.

Finally it was time to move with a rolling start and soon enough we started a small climb which made me move to the top of the field and attempt an early solo breakaway as Mike wasn't participating in that race.
I felt good going up the about 1 mile hill. The field re-grouped with me on the other side as we were on a fast 40mph downhill.
A little group detached from the main field and I started to feel my typical low sugar sensations and decided to hang back and not chase the little brakeaway.

I was now in a chase group trying to reel the breakaway back and found myself doing a ton of work in the front which cost me to use most of the carbs I had left in me despite eating all of my food I had in my pockets while making sure I would keep a little for the 2nd lap.

Basically after I crossed the first lap out of two, once we started climbing again the big hill, I was done. No energy, no will, nothing.

So I was now on a solo ride, trying to enjoy the scenery and not die from a hypo in the middle of nowhere.

I finished 37th, not dead last ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment