Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mt. Baker hill climb race "Ride 542"

Sunday was the big day for us, the Woodinville Bike shop and another 700+ local and from out of state cyclists.
On the program, 25 miles of non stop climbing from Glacier WA which is located on route 542 to the top and dead end of the road at Artist Point totaling a 4400 ft of total elevation gain.
My personal best on this race was in 2007 when I completed it in 1 hour 44:36. I had set my goal to match that time, to prove that WITH diabetes I can achieve the same time than before I was diagnosed type 1.
Well I did not succeed. On Sunday I finished in 1 hour 57:09. About 1 minute behind my last year's performance then already with diabetes.
Why? what went wrong? Nothing, no real excuses. I believe that a better understanding of nutrition is going to be necessary to make sure my body is sufficiently nourished for efforts like these.
I also don't believe that the research I am participating has any effect on my riding.
So for next year, I will set my goal at 1 hour 40:00 and work more on eating well/enough with type1 to maximize my level of fitness.

Congratulations to all the guys from the shop who rode and for a wonderful stay in Glacier in our cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment